Basements often flood and cause significant damage to homes. Overflowing drains, pipes, faulty sump pumps, and even sewer backups are common causes.
The best way to mitigate the damage caused by a flooded basement is to take certain precautions.
The Most Commonly Basement Flooding Causes:
- foundation cracks
- broken basement windows
- poor-draining wells
- sewer system problems
- old pipes
- house located at the bottom of a slope
- overflowing rain gutters
- appliances leaks
- drainage system fail
- overflowing toilet/bathtub
What steps can you take to make sure your basement does not flood?
- Do not rely on your sump pump alone to protect you from flood damage. You should also have a battery backup or generator installed in case of power outages. The pump will keep everything dry even when the electricity goes out.
- Install a backwater valve on your main sewer line before it enters the house. These valves can prevent sewage backups into the house by allowing water to flow through them during heavy rainstorms when there isn’t enough room for the water in the drain pipes outside the home.
- Repair any cracks in the foundation or walls of the home if you find any. If there are large cracks or holes in your crawl space, contact a professional who can repair them safely before they cause further damage or become worse over time.
So, if you have a flooded basement. What should you do? Being overwhelmed by panic, fear, and feelings of helplessness are natural reactions when things like this happen. However, there are things you can do to minimize the damage and speed up recovery.
What To Do If Your Basement Floods?
Here are 7 tips for dealing with a flooded basement:
1. Turn off all electricity and gas before touching any water-damaged items; water conducts electricity, making it a deadly combination.
2. Locate the source of the water. You can do this by checking your main water valve, which is most likely in your basement or garage. If it’s not obvious where it is, ask someone who knows to help you locate it, or look up instructions on your phone for how to locate the valve.
3. Make sure everyone leaves the area immediately. Grab whatever belongings you can that are not wet and don’t go back for anything. You can recover possessions later when the water is gone.
4. Call a water damage restoration company like Re-Store Services to assess the situation, eliminate standing water, and dry out your home as soon as possible (within 24 hours).
5. Contact your insurance agent or adjuster immediately so they can begin processing your claim and help you navigate through the claims process.
6. Take pictures of everything that is damaged so you have a proof for insurance purposes later on down the line when filing a claim for damages caused.
7. Stay out of floodwaters, which can be contaminated with raw sewage, and other hazardous materials. If you must enter flooded areas, wear rubber boots and waterproof clothing.
Although you may feel like you should start a bucket brigade (bail the water out), professional water damage restoration services are equipped with truck-mounted extraction units that can quickly extract thousands of gallons of water.
You should call for flooded basement cleanup immediately to prevent mold, mildew, and structural damage. Waiting for too long increases the amount of damage to your home.
When you have a fire, flood, mold, or other disaster in your home or business, Re-Store services can help! Our specialists are trained and certified to assess water damage, clean up the area efficiently, and restore it back to its original condition.
We are a family owned business, providing quality service to our customers in San Diego, CA. With 24/7 emergency response and expert knowledge of insurance procedures, we make sure that you get the best possible outcome from an incident that is often unfortunate but not unmanageable.
Some time ago, we suffered an unexpected ceiling collapse. Because of this experience, we understand what it’s like to deal with a disaster and its harmful effects on the family.
That is why we are dedicated to restoring your property to its pre-loss condition and returning your family life back to normal as quickly as possible.
24/7 Emergency Services
We understand that emergencies don’t happen at convenient times. That’s why we provide 24/7 Emergency Services to get you back on your feet quickly after disaster strikes.
Flooded Basement Cleanup
The key to restoring your home after a flood is getting the water out. Flooded basements are among the most expensive situations you can encounter, especially if they need repairing as well.
Our specialized technicians have the proper equipment—such as water extraction pumps, dehumidifying machines, and infrared lamps for mold inspection. They will assess your house for damage and offer a plan to restore it at a reasonable price.
Mold is a major problem for many homeowners. It can appear on its own or as the result of water damage caused by leaking pipes or other sources.
Because mold is often not visible, people can be unaware of its presence and its threat to their health.
However, structural damage can occur if left unchecked. That is why professionals always look for mold when dealing with leaks or floods.
If you need flooded basement repair, don’t hesitate to call Re-Store Services!
You can also read the articles: